Last weekend we took a quick
trip to Moab so Scott and I, along with his brother, Steve, could compete as a
relay team in the Moab Xterra triathlon. An Xterra triathlon differs from the
traditional kind in that the bike and run are off-road. We opted to do a relay
since Scott and Steve didn't feel comfortable doing an open water swim, I don't
mountain bike, and I don't think Steve enjoys running. So it worked out
perfectly for me to do the mile swim in Ken's Lake, Steve to mountain bike 15
miles on the world-famous Steelbender trail (this was one seriously tough and
technical course!), and Scott to run the 6.8 mile trail run to Faux Falls,
through the red rocks, and around Ken's lake.
This is only the second year of this race and they still have some organizational kinks to work out like parking and making it more spectator friendly, but the race itself was really fun. This was my first time swimming a full mile in open water. I felt really great in the water, even when the wind picked up making the water kind of choppy. I was happy with my time of 36:23.
Next up was Steve, who took off on what would end up being a 3 hour bike ride. Everyone was talking about how insane this bike course was...and we were in MOAB...people live on their bikes down there.
Last, Scott took off up into the mountain for his trail run. Scott, with his fresh legs, was flying past everyone. The other racers were commenting in awe of how fast he was running until he explained he was part of a relay and hadn't done the bike or swim. He finished in a great time of 1:02:19.
During all of this we were juggling our 3 kiddos which was especially tricky since there was no shade and nowhere to sit, just gravel and dirt. We did take the kids back to our condo during Steve's bike, but even with that it was a long morning for them and they were all troopers.




2 comments:
Always fun to do a relay tri, in my opinion. So much less pressure. :) Mason could be Austin's twin with that Batman shirt! Pretty sure Aus still wears his occasionally. Fun trip!
way to go you guys! I started running (on the treadmill for now) which I have always hated! But it actually isn't so bad. I actually kind of look forward to it. Maybe I will be able to run a half marathon next year. :)
Post a Comment