Monday, April 9, 2012

Future doctor?

Mason is a very curious boy who likes to know how things work. After I had my c-section he had so many questions, including:



Mason: What did it look like when they cut your tummy open?

Me: I don't know, I didn't watch.

Mason: Did Dad watch?

Me: Nope

Mason: Then who watched it?

Me: The doctors and nurses.

Mason: Well did they take any pictures?

Me: No

Mason: Sigh. Mom, next time can you try to trip and fall so they have to cut your tummy open again. And tell Dad to take pictures this time!!
I explained step by step what the doctors did and none of my explanation was lost on Mason. A while back, I overheard him and Brynn playing doctor together and as I listened I realized he was performing a C- section on her. To his credit he had excellent bedside manner and explained everything he was doing in a very reassuring way.

So then a week ago I had a colonoscopy (Remember how my mom had colon cancer when she was 36? The doctor recommended us kids start getting checked at 26...oops I was a year late). As I was doing the lovely prep Mason had more questions about what I was going to have done. I explained they were going to put a camera in my stomach to make sure nothing was there that wasn't supposed to. He quickly requested that I ask the doctor to take pictures this time. I did just that, and the doctor got a good laugh out of it. That day Mason proudly showed all of his friends the pictures of inside my bowels. He even showed his friend's mom, who is one of my friends, and she called me laughing hysterically. Luckily I was able to talk him out of taking it for show and tell. This boy definitely got my love of the human body and medicine.

Miles is Mason and Brynn's favorite patient. Notice the toy bandaid on his ankle. That's because it wouldn't fit on his thigh where Mason gave him a pretend shot. :) I love his chunk!!

3 comments:

Vance Murray said...

Glad to hear Mason has found another new passion. I think he will grow up to be a doctor who works on a train which doubles as a transformer and takes kids to the North Pole every year... oh, and he will also write rhyming children's books and dabble in paleontology from time to time. We miss you guys and hope to see you sometime soon.

Jen said...

Such smart kids you have:) And I love Miles' big blue eyes.

The Kynastons said...

Haha...oh Mason. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall when he was showing off your bowel pictures. :) I love all of these doctor pics. You seriously have the most beautiful children.