Monday, May 17, 2010

Pets

Scott and I have always agreed that we would hold off getting any pets as long as possible. We knew the day would come when Mason would beg for a pet of some sort, and we would eventually give in. But last week Scott turned on me. He decided it would be fun to get Mason hermit crabs and after he got Mason all excited about it I caved in and agreed. Why hermit crabs? They are pretty much the most low maintenance pets and they don't smell or make messes. Plus, there is an episode of Dinosaur Train that is one of Mason's favorites where they meet a hermit crab named Henry and learn all about him. So off we went to the pet store to get our first pets. Mason wanted this little guy to be his Henry. It was a great pick. Henry is fearless and very active. Perfect for Mason. He picked this baby one for Brynn. Since its shell looks like a giraffe he named him Melman. I'm a little worried about Melman. This picture honestly might be the only time we have seen him out of his shell. He's a wee little guy and appears to be very very scared, even of the other crabs. Poor little Melman. Scott was so excited he couldn't leave without picking out a big ole' Daddy one for himself. Mason named him Buddy. He is massive compared to the others. He is very active and a little bit of a bully to the others. He claimed the little house we made them right away, but I think Henry has grown on him because now Buddy lets him share the space. Mason loves to hold them. It still makes me a little queasy. He is learning how to be gentle when he holds them and we have only had one incident when he accidentally launched Henry. We cannot get them out when Brynn is awake because she goes crazy trying to get them and I'm pretty sure that would not end well for anyone involved.
It's kind of fun having pets, we'll see how long they last.

6 comments:

leslie said...

i'll make sure to remember hermit crabs when morgan wants a bull-terrior. seriously, we are not following in those footsteps! talk about smells!!

The Kynastons said...

So I have to admit that hermit crabs have always creeped me out! It's amazing to me that little kids love them. I am the same way as you are (or were :)...I want to hold out on pets for as long as I can. But maybe someday we'll get a hermit crab since I now know that they are non-smelly and low maintenance. That sounds like my kind of pet!

The Scott Family said...

Rach- this is a little off the subject, but I was wondering. Did you end up buying a sit-n-stand stroller? I have been looking into strollers and I am trying to decide on what to get. Please email me at mindysland1@hotmail.com so I can ask your opinion on it. (sorry, I dont have your updated email address.) Thanks, Mindy

Stacie said...

Next: a puppy! jk They look very cute.

Becky and Jeff said...

How fun. I don't think I could hold one though, just thinking about it gives me the heebee jeebees. I love the last picture of mason! I miss you guys!!

katie said...

You are brave to get pets. We had a few goldfish a year ago but we didn't get any more when they were "all done swimming" :)