Monday, August 26, 2013

Good Old Utah Summer

When we realized there was no way the kids and I were going to make it out to Omaha this summer I was devastated. This just added to the ever growing list of plans we make that never seem to work out. The only consolation was watching Mason, Brynn, and Miles enjoy a good old Utah summer that was extremely reminiscent of my childhood summers. Get ready for some serious overload, because I'm about to cram their entire summer into one post.
  • Miles became best buddies with Grandpa Val. They would start their day bright and early together with Miles watching my dad shave (I did the same thing as a little girl) and they would spend the evenings playing "Grandpa Fetch" a game Miles created where he stands in the back of Grandpa's truck and throws balls out for my dad to chase. 
  • Mason and Brynn spent every spare moment riding their bikes and scooters around the neighborhood with their friends.
  • Brynn became a whiz on the Strider bike and then took off riding a two wheeler without an ounce of help.
  • Miles visited the neighbor's chickens countless times a day.
  • My mom made sure the big kids had plenty to keep them busy and entertained throughout the summer. Tennis lessons, golf lessons, and swim lessons to name a few.
    Kennedy, Cannon, Mason, and Brynn at Golf Lessons.




  • Countless trips to the swimming pool. Riverside and Aunt Marilyn's were their favorite pools this year. Puddlejumper floaties for Brynn and Miles were the best investment we ever made. Brynn is finally completely comfortable in the water and a little fishy who loved jumping off the diving board and diving for toys on the steps. Miles doesn't have an ounce of hesitation in the water and jumps off the diving board whether anyone is watching or not and miraculously made it through the summer without drowning. Mason is a pro swimmer who has moved on to doing tricks off the diving board and hand stands in the shallow end.


  • On the days they didn't make it to the pool the hottub was an acceptable substitute.
  • Brynn was thrilled to be living just a few houses away from her best friend Emmett. She would drive the black truck over to his house to pick him up and they would cruise around together like they were 16 years old.
  • My dad would tell his famous Snowflake bedtime stories to Mason and Brynn every night. Every story is about how he, Evan, and Ivan (his real childhood best friends in Snowflake, Arizona) saved Snowflake from whatever giant creature Mason and Brynn chose that night. I have so many great memories from my childhood sharing these same stories. Soon Mason and Brynn did a great job telling their own "saving Orem" stories.
  • Miles ate watermelon with Grandpa Val every morning and every night.
  • My parents took the kiddos to the Allred Family Reunion at Bear Lake while we were in the hospital with Ellie. Kids got to experience jet skis and a "motorboat", as they both refer to it , for the first time. I think their favorite part was just playing with all of their cousins (including 2nd cousins). I stole these collages off Whitney's blog since I wasn't there.

  • Living with Grandpa Val means a lot of swag from every Chamber of Commerce and Utah County business event. Mason was in hoarder's heaven!!
  • We were able to sneak in a trip to the zoo for their lego exibit while Ellie was in the hospital. This was Miles' first trip to the zoo since he's been old enough to appreciate it and we had so much fun watching him get excited about each and every animal. I think the rooster walking around was his favorite of all the animals.

  • Mason was introduced to the world of night games and was a big fan!!
  • The boys got their annual summer buzz. Miles wasn't so sure about the buzzers and took off after one pass. Grandma is a lot nicer than Mom and Dad and didn't want to hold him down crying, but the damage had been done and there was no other option. The sucker at the end was well worth it.


That is just a glimpse of all the fun these kiddos had living at Grandma and Grandpa's house.
How do I even begin to thank my parents for all they have done for us this summer? My mom put her life completely on hold and became a full-time mother to my children. She split the long night shifts taking care of Ellie with me. My dad started off his summer by turning around on his way down to St. George for a golf weekend when he heard we were having our baby and has since golfed less than I have ever witnessed because he would come straight home from work each night to help with the kids. They gave my older kids stability and a sense of normalcy that I couldn't provide. They had to fight their grandparent instinct to spoil and instead provide consistency and discipline. I have worked hard my entire life to be self sufficient and so as much as I would like to be able to say I could have done it on my own the truth is I couldn't have. There is no way I could have given my kids the wonderful summer full of positive memories that they had. In fact, I honestly don't think I could have even survived this summer without them.  Thank you Mom and Dad! 

4 comments:

Val and Nancy said...

Rachel, we loved having the kids this summer. It was so much fun spending quality and quantity time with them. We will always be grateful we were able to help out. We love you and your wonderful family.

Dad

Marilyn J said...

You are all remarkable examples of love and long suffering. Thanks for letting so many of us learn from you. . .

Unknown said...

Wow, your parents are amazing! They are so selfless and truly love their family :). I love all the cute things your dad would do with Miles. I can not believe that picture of Miles jumping off the diving board!!! Crazy! And that picture of Brynn sticking her head through the legos reminds me of you EXACTLY! I may even have an old picture of you making that face...

Stacie said...

Your parents are the best anyone could ask for! I can't believe Brynn and her bike riding! She is too coordinated! I could seriously eat Miles up. He is beyond cute!