Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Classics

I grew up in the prime of Disney movies. So many of the great classics like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and Lion King came out during my childhood. I love each of these movies and have always been excited for my children to fall in love with them, too. Don't get me wrong, the newer Pixar movies are great, but there is just something about the classics that I can't get over.  I tried to introduce Mason to some of the Disney Classics years ago, but he just never loved them.  One time, after Mason watched Beauty and the Beast for the first time, I heard him running around growling like the Beast and it wasn't long before a then 1-year-old Brynn came walking up to me holding giant shards of glass in her hands. It turns out they came from a 16x20 picture frame that Mason had intentionally knocked over. When I asked him what happened he innocently replied, "I was pretending to be the Beast". I don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't for him to reenact the Beast's temper tantrums. I showed Mason classic after classic but he always preferred the latest pixar movies. But then, a couple months ago, Brynn and Mason watched Aladdin and I finally got the reaction I was looking for. They both loved the movie and asked daily to watch it. When I asked Brynn if she liked Princess Jasmine I got the sharp reply, "I don't like Jasmine! I like the bad guys!" Yep, my little girl's favorite characters are the palace guards. She is so weird. One of my favorite moments was when I heard Mason get frustrated with Brynn and call her a street rat. Hahaha. It still makes me chuckle thinking about it. After Aladdin followed Lion King, Jungle Book, and the Little Mermaid. We started listening to my old Disney CDs in the car and we now drive around singing along with our favorite songs including: One Jump Ahead (Brynn's favorite part that she shouts out in a deep voice every time is "Rip him open take it back guys!" Seriously, should I be worried?), Part of Your World, Under the Sea, Hakunna Matata, Can you feel the love, Bear Necessities, I Just Can't Wait to be King (Brynn and Mason know word for word and it is my favorite to hear them sing), Colonel Hathi's March, and many more. Brynn may not like any other princesses (she HATES the movie Tangled), but she has fallen in love with Ariel who happens to have been my favorite princess all growing up. I think she admires her because she lives in a swimming suit which is something Brynn wishes she could do.  Whatever the reason, it is nice to see her respond to something like a normal little girl would.  It's no surprise that Mason likes the animals in all the movies with his favorites being ZaZoo in Lion King, Baloo and King Louie in Jungle Book, and Scuttles in Little Mermaid. A big thanks to my Aunt Marilyn for letting us come borrow from her Disney DVD collection.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

I totally agree. Luckily the pawn shop Austin frequents has had a LOT of the Disney movies, so we've started our own collection.

PS It has taken me 4 times so far entering in the stupid word verification to submit this comment. I vote you get rid of it. :)

The Kynastons said...

We have just started getting into the Disney movies, too, and I LOVE it. Unfortunately my sensitive little soul Macie gets scared by any scary or bad part, so we tend to skip a lot, but we are making progress. I can just imagine Brynn singing that part from the Aladdin song...she is so hilarious. I need to get a disney cd for Mace (and for me!)