Friday, September 14, 2012

Summer Swimming

Just like every other summer, our summer days were filled with trips to the pool. We changed things up a little bit this year and rather than getting our usual punch pass to Scera Pool we decided to try out the Pass of All Passes. If you are asking what that is then you are clearly not from Utah County. Basically it's a season pass to 7 peaks along with other family entertainment spots around Utah for anywhere from $9.99-$39.99 at various times throughout the year. With our passes we made sure to hit 7 peaks at least once a week and then jumped around between other pools like Riverside, Aunt Marilyn's Pool, and Lindon pool with friends and family. We had an absolute blast. Mason is my little fish and always seemed to be trying something new and adventurous.  Brynn was hit or miss. Some days she would go crazy playing in the water and have the time of her life trying all the big slides and other days I could barely get her peeled off me she was so scared. She still has no problem putting her face in the water but hates having her ears go under. We might have to look into earplugs for swimming lessons this year. Miles started out the summer a wobbly 5 month old sitter and napped most of the time at the pool. But by summer's end that boy was CRAZY in the water. He loved crawling around splashing in the water and walking along the edge of the pool. I couldn't look away for a minute or he would be in water over his head. For this reason there really couldn't have been a better summer for Scott to be home. I don't know how I would have done it by myself. I'll let the pictures tell some of the highlights.  
 
Seven Peaks
First time to 7 peaks.
*Brynn's Slide Story*
Our first day at seven peaks was one of Brynn's fearless days. She insisted she wanted to go on the big flash flood slide all by herself. She wasn't tall enough, but Scott was able to pressure the new 16 year old lifeguard into letting her go. The plan was I would wait at the bottom while Scott took them up and sent Mason first and then Brynn. After Mason came down I would ask the lifeguard to scoot up and catch Brynn since she couldn't touch at the bottom. Mason came down the slide no problem. I told the lifeguard my little girl was coming down next and might need some help and ask if he would scoot up to catch her. This scrawny kid sat waiting with his arms outstretched as not Brynn, but a chubby 10-12 year old girl came slowly around the corner. He looked over his shoulder at me like, you really want me to catch her? I quickly told him, "that's not her! don't catch her!" I figured they must not have let Brynn go by herself. Right then Scott came shooting out of the other slide all alone. I couldn't figure out where Brynn was.  Before I could ask Scott I looked back to the green slide and saw Brynn's itty bitty body come around the corner. The lifeguard was turned around walking back to his post.  I started shouting, "here she comes, here she comes!" but it wasn't quick enough. She hit the water and went under for a second or two before the lifegaurd reached her. I don't know if she was more scared of going under water or being lifted out by "the red guy".  She never got upset and was really proud of how brave she was, but only wanted to ride down on our laps after that. So later I was telling Scott how the girl that went in between Mason and Brynn threw me off. Scott asked, "What girl? There was no girl. I sent Mason down then sent Brynn right after him." We looked at each other and then looked at Mason. He simply said, "She was going really slow so I just zoomed around her." We could not stop laughing. What are the chances that would happen the one time down the slide that we needed him to stay in order. Sorry for the lengthy story, but it is one I want to remember.

Riverside
Riverside with Grandma Nancy.

Miles absolutely loved kicking around in the water.
The kiddos all kicking back and relaxing in their tubes.

*Mason's Diving Board Story*
Riverside is the only pool in Utah County that still has a high dive. My dad told Mason he'd give him a quarter if he jumped off it. Mason will do almost anything for a quarter so he climbed up, walked to the end, and jumped without a second's hesitation. Then we couldn't get him to stop jumping over and over and over.  It was definitely his favorite part of Riverside.

 Aunt Marilyn's Pool
The diving board at Aunt Marilyn's pool suited Brynn more.

Allie, Rachel, and Brynn under water

Scott and Mason under water

Allie, Mason, and Brynn
*Underwater Camera Story*
One day Marilyn had a disposable underwater camera. We told the kids to go under water and we would take a picture. As soon as their heads popped up they wanted to see the picture. These kids have never known anything other than a digital camera and could not understand why they couldn't see the picture immediately after taking it. We tried to explain that this camera had film in it and we would take it to get developed. They all looked at us with blank stares. Mason finally broke the silence with, "oh, so it's just a pretend camera."

Lindon Pool
Mason and Cache after passing their swim test.
*Mason's Swim Test*
I took the kids to the Lindon pool with our friends, the McCanns. Cache and Mason were sad they weren't tall enough to go on the slide by themselves but learned if they passed a swim test they would get wrist bands that would let them anywhere in the pool. They had to swim across the length of the pool (25 meters) without touching the sides or the bottom and then tread water for 5 seconds before touching the wall. It was definitely the farthest Mason has ever swam and he was one tired boy by the end, but he did it. I don't know who was more proud, him or me.

I don't know how many more summer catch up posts I am going to get to so I just want to say that this was the Best. Summer. Ever!

2 comments:

Stacie said...

Well you know a post all about pools could never be too long for me! :) I loved it! And it makes my heart happy that Mr. Mason is such a great swimmer.

Shel said...

Oh how I miss the pool already! Looks like fun times, I can't believe Mason will do the high dive, so awesome! Benson never passed the swim test here, I wish it was the same one as you have! Here they have to swim the length of the pool then tread for and entire minute! Benson made it 45 sec. once, but could never get the full minute. Luckily, by the end of the summer, the lifeguards knew us well enough to know that he was fine.

So, when we move to our new place, we will be in the Frederick Stake, so we'll be in the same stake as your sis-in-law! Small world :) Our house is about 30 min east of Frederick.

How are you liking your time with just the baby? Doesn't it feel so weird to have two in school?! I still find myself looking over my shoulder for the missing child ;)