It was a warm and humid 4th of July morning. I tip toed downstairs and gently woke up my sleeping boy. His eyes popped open without delay. He excitedly climbed out of bed and put on his new race shirt he had already been wearing for two days straight in anticipation for this moment. He found his sweat bands and put them on so he wouldn't get sweaty and tied up his running shoes so he could run fast. He was too excited and nervous to eat breakfast, but tried to force down a few bites of toast to give him energy. On the drive down to the race he reminded Dad that he would run, walk, run, walk, but no holding hands or being carried or he wouldn't get a medal. When the gun went off Mason took off running and ran his little heart out for an entire mile before he crossed the finish line and received the medal he had worked so hard for. He was one very tired, but very proud little boy.
With all the races Scott and I have done lately, Mason caught the running bug and really wanted to run in a race and get a medal of his own (the medal was actually the priority). So we signed him up for the 1 mile Freedom Run on the 4th of July with his cousin Rachel Faye and their daddies. I was a little skeptical of Mason's ability to stay focused and determined for an entire mile, after all this is my child who hardly makes it through a parking lot without asking to be carried, but he was insistent he wanted to do it. With Scott by his side and all his other fans along the route cheering him on he did it! He finished in 17:10 which I thought was pretty good for those little legs.
Rachel finished right with him and got extra style points for running the entire race with her wand. I was so proud of these two. I definitely feel a tradition coming on.
With all the races Scott and I have done lately, Mason caught the running bug and really wanted to run in a race and get a medal of his own (the medal was actually the priority). So we signed him up for the 1 mile Freedom Run on the 4th of July with his cousin Rachel Faye and their daddies. I was a little skeptical of Mason's ability to stay focused and determined for an entire mile, after all this is my child who hardly makes it through a parking lot without asking to be carried, but he was insistent he wanted to do it. With Scott by his side and all his other fans along the route cheering him on he did it! He finished in 17:10 which I thought was pretty good for those little legs.
Rachel finished right with him and got extra style points for running the entire race with her wand. I was so proud of these two. I definitely feel a tradition coming on.
3 comments:
GO MASON!!! A little athlete in the making!
That really is GREAT. I can't believe they didn't stop!
How did you know their time? I'll have to add that to my entry. So glad they did it together! Great memories!
Post a Comment