Friday, September 10, 2010

Preschool

This was Mason's first week at Discovery Preschool with Mrs. Young. He has been waiting for this day for a long time. At the beginning of the year Mason asked me if he could go to preschool. I told him he could go when he was 3. I realized my mistake in April, when he announced on his birthday, "Now I can go to preschool!" I had to correct my previous answer and tell him he would start preschool after the summer when the swimming pool closed. He has been counting down the days ever since. When Wednesday morning finally came Mason was so excited and 12:30 just couldn't come fast enough. He asked me all sorts of questions about preschool that morning that showed his excitement mixed with a little bit of nervousness. My favorite went something like this.
Mason: Mom, will I leave my backpack upstairs at Mrs. Young's?
Me: No, preschool is just downstairs. You will hang your backpack up on the wall by the door.
Mason: Oh, okay.
5 minutes later sounding a little bit concerned.
Mason: But mom, will there be a little ladder for me to climb on so I will be tall enough to hang up my backpack?
Me: No, you won't need a ladder. At preschool everything is just the right size for 3-year-olds like you. You will be able to reach the hook.
Mason: laughing Oh, I didn't know that.

Mason goes to preschool with his cousin Kennedy. I am so excited about this because I went to preschool with my cousin, Anthony, who was my best friend. I have such great memories of preschool with him and I'm so glad Mason gets to have his cousin and buddy with him, too.
On the first day, Mason and Kennedy held hands and ran right in, never looking back. It felt so weird leaving Mason and going home with just Brynn for a few hours. It is very nice to have some alone time with Brynn and then when she naps having time to get things done uninterupted. When we picked Mason up he came walking out with his class then ran over to me and gave me a hug. He enjoyed his first day and was excited to go back for more today. I'm so excited for this next phase of our life.

7 comments:

The Kynastons said...

Is he seriously in preschool already?? He looks so grown up with his backpack on, all ready for school. I'm assuming Mrs. Young is Hailey's mom, right? I always wished my kids could go to preschool there, but it probably won't be realistic to drive down to Orem. Mason is a lucky kid! :) Love your new blog look, by the way. Super cute!

Stacie said...

Can I admit that I got a little teary eyed reading this? Preschool?!?! I just love that little boy.

Megan said...

can you believe how quickly the time has gone? we were pregnant and managing clinicals and school, then mason was just a little man and you started workig and now preschool???? it feels like it has gone by in such a rush as i watch him grow up! it's so much fun to see our boys going through the same stages. enjoy the quiet hours, isn't it lovely?!

Shel said...

Is it Mrs. Young Hailey's mom? Because Benson will be going there next month! Which class is he in? That would be fun if they were in a class together.

Melanie said...

So cute!! I can't believe he's already old enough for preschool. Where does the time go???

Shel said...

Bummer, Benson is in the T-Th afternoon class. We are moving back next month for an undetermined amount of time, back to home base in between life decisions :)

hailey said...

He is so cute! I am SUPER jealous Jake doesn't get Mrs. Young as a teacher too.:) I can't believe he is old enough to go!