Thursday, April 3, 2008
Books, Books, Books!!!!!
When I was a little girl my dad called me his reading machine. This nickname came from my obsession with reading that started before I could actually read. Starting as young as I can remember my mom would sit out in the hall between my brothers' and my room at bedtime and read us a book. We would read a chapter every night. I LOVED IT!! I would much rather be read to then watch a movie. I learned how to read very young and then never stopped reading. I have always been a "one sitting" reader, meaning I usually end up starting and finishing a book in one sitting. It's not that I am a particularly fast reader, I just get sucked in and can't put it down. Since I rarely in my life have had a day that would allow hours of reading at once I've always preferred to do most of my reading at night. Nothing compares to being curled up in my favorite reading spot with a lamp on and the rest of the world turned off. It becomes just me and the characters. Well I have enjoyed very little guilt-free reading the past 4 1/2 years while I have been in school. I just couldn't afford to spend time reading leisurely material because I had so much else to do. Even after I graduated I couldn't enjoy a book because I knew I should be studying for my boards. But for the last month I have enjoyed some of the most splendid reading. It feels like I have been reunited with an old friend. I started out pacing myself well reading a book about every week, but just the last 2 weeks my passion is getting a little out of control. I have been reading approximately a book every day and a half. One might ask, where do you find the time to read so much with an 11 month old, are you a horrible mother, do you ignore him for your own pleasure....most definitely not!! This is where the problem is. I only read when Mason is asleep (excluding the time I spend every day reading Mason his books), which is also the time I get ready, do housework, and anything else for myself. So I have let my house fall apart: sink full of dishes, cupboards empty, laudry baskets full of clothes, drawers and closets empty. Okay it's really not that bad because Scott is still a functioning human, but it's not great. The real sacrifice has been sleep. I have not gone to bed before 3am once this week because I can't put my book down. I am just waiting for Scott to start enforcing a book curfew. So why have I been rambling on in this long boring post that no one really cares about....because I need some new ideas for books to read. I am open to pretty much any genre although I'm kind of in a Fiction rather than Non-fiction mood right now. I particularly like books in series so after I become attached to a character I can follow them for a least a couple of books. PLEASE!!! Let me know of any great book you have ever read.....even if you think I have probably read it...because maybe I haven't. I am thinking about copying my friend Natalie by posting my current read on this blog and maybe rating the books. I hope to hear from lots of people so I can go hit the library!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
what have you been reading? i have started 4 books recently and i'm just not into them enough to make it through.
Great minds think alike, eh? :) So I have read the Twilight series and I loved them! My sister-in-law and her husband were just telling me about another series called the Fable Haven series that is apparently amazing. I guess it's sort of the same "harry potter" type genre, but not a knock off of Harry Potter at all. I haven't started them yet, but it peaked my curiosity. Also, have you read Kite Runner? It's definitely a somber read, but I thought it was amazing. What else have you been reading lately? I guess we can probably talk about this all when I see you tonight!
I tagged you. Go to my blog to check it out!
If you like Fantasy, I have a great series that I absolutely love. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. If you need to borrow any books, I have 3 overflowing bookshelves and you are more than welcome to borrow (as long as you treat them lovingly :))
Hey, of course I remember you! Did you get my comment on your last post? Did you know who it was? I'm glad that we found the connection. I understand about the book habit. I get stuck in them to-it drives my husband nuts when I have a new book, I think he starts feeling neglected=/
Hey, I would love it if you did an Usborne book party!! You should call me and I can give you info. If you did it in the next month or so you get double free books because I'm a new consultant. It's awesome. Sorry this post is so long but seriously let me know if you want to do one.
hey rachel, have you read Eat, Pray, Love? It's non-fiction but I've heard it's great.
hey rach, sorry to write again on this post, but would you mind asking Melissa Hunter if she would add me to her blog...I'd love to "catch up" with her but her blog is private. My email is gkynaston@gmail. Thanks!
Your going to have to help me pick a good book for our cruise!! I am not a big reader but I will need something to help me fall asleep on a rocking boat!!
Katie
Rachel I'm so gald you said hi. Your little boy is so adorable and so is your new haircut(which I guess isn't new anymore). Right now Tyson and I are reading the Chronicles of Narnia, but unlike you, it will take me more than seven days to read all seven books. I just don't seem to have the energy I once had...lol.
I hear the Uglies series is quite good. You could try that one out.
Hey! I tried to send you an email, but I guess I have the wrong address. Will you email me when you get this, and then I'll send the email I tried to send before? karlielise at yahoo dot com.
I am the same way, once I start a book I can't stop. Have you read the Twilight series? Its highly addictive. I also really liked the Other Boleyn Girl, and the Rescue by Nicholas Sparks. You should post what you are reading so we can share ideas and thoughts :)
Post a Comment