Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Seven!

I'm still not sure how it is possible, but this handsome boy turned seven last month. It just so happened that Mason's class field trip to the zoo fell on the same day, which made it a pretty awesome day to have a birthday. It was good that he got to do something special during school because he had to share the spotlight for the rest of the day since it was also Scott's graduation.  Don't feel too bad for him, though, because that meant he got to have his birthday party a week early. Mason wanted a Star Wars party this year and I decided nothing says Star Wars like some good old Laser Tag. So we loaded the kids up and spent the afternoon playing laser tag, rock climbing, and playing in the arcade at Trafalga. None of the kids had ever played laser tag before and didn't quite understand what they would be doing. It was funny watching how excited yet nervous they all were beforehand. I think a few of them thought they were going to be shooting real lasers at each other. Scott went in and played with them and said they all had a complete blast, but I already knew that by the way they came running out of the exit exclaiming, "That was awesome!! Let's play again!" and so we did. I have to be honest, this was a total cop out party. I didn't have the time or energy to plan, host, and clean up a party for a bunch of high energy 7-year-olds. I even bought Mason's cake from the grocery store instead of making one...gasp. But I really don't think Mason and his friends could have had any more fun. It turned out to be perfect.
Korbin Bascom, Daniel Glahn, Mason, Cache McCann, Claire Kidd, and Coleman Pearson.

Coleman and Mason living it up in the arcade
Now for a little bit about 7-year-old Mason:

  • Mason is currently obsessed with Lego Star Wars and he carries his Lego Star Wars visual dictionary, which shows every Lego Star Wars set ever made and tells all about them, everywhere with him and practically has the whole thing memorized.
  • He enjoyed doing a couple sessions of basketball camp this winter and has LOVED playing his first year of little league this spring. He kind of fizzled out during spring soccer and has decided he doesn't really like playing soccer anymore.
  • When asked what his favorite subject is in school he says Math. 
  • He is still a veracious reader and reads well above grade level.
  • His teacher tells me that he has all the girls swooning over him. I believe it. He is a fun and handsome guy.
  • Mason loves to be silly and can get his siblings and friends rolling with laughter, but frankly I find it more annoying than funny.
  • He has lost 5 teeth (including his prematurely knocked out tooth) up to date and has several wiggly teeth that are threatening to come out soon.
  • He is pretty tall and very skinny.
  • Mason is still very creative and imaginative. I love hearing him make all his little noises and voices as he plays with his Legos all around the house. 
  • He enjoys riding his bike around and trying out new "tricks" like riding with one arm behind his back.
  • He is proud to be a big kid and has started trading in his kids meals for things like Big Macs. 
  • He is a home body. He despises having to run errands with me and doesn't particularly like going places unless it is something he is interested in. 

I love his great smile!

Tulip Festival

Mason's Minecraft Creeper valentine box.

"Mom, take a picture. I want to see how creepy I look."
Happy Birthday Mason!

3 comments:

Steve, Jenna, Isla, Ivy and Weston said...

Seriously... 7!!! I remember meeting Mason for the first time right before he turned two and thinking what a cute cute kid he was/is. He was even cuter when he would drop something and say "fummmmblllle". I will never forget that. Happy birthday Mason!

Lisa said...

Sounds like a dream birthday party to me! I remember the post about his teeth getting knocked out. Can't believe he's 7 already!

Becky and Jeff said...

I hardly recognize that kid. I can't believe old he looks. love the pictures! what a handsome kid!