Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Not Happy

We have gone through a pretty rough patch with Ellie the last month or so. Her health has been fine and we have gotten into a good routine with all of her care, but the poor girl has been getting progressively grumpier and grumpier over the weeks until she was pretty much crying all day every day. This wasn't just fussy baby crying. This was rigid body, tears running down cheeks, I'm in agonizing pain, crying. I felt so helpless as I tried and tried to figure out what was hurting her. We changed one thing after another trying to narrow in on the problem. A couple times she would have a couple good days and we thought we figured it out, but then the screaming would start up again. I can't even put into words the toll this has taken on our entire family. A week ago, we finally tried switching her to soy formula and it has made such a huge difference. Ellie wakes up smiling instead of crying and she smiles, laughes, and interacts with the kids, again. We are all so happy and relieved to have our happy baby sister back! To celebrate here are some pictures of our smiling, happy girl. 
My friend, Gina, gave this cute monkey rattle to Ellie a few weeks ago and it seriously has magical powers. When Ellie is upset we shake it in front of her and she stops and stares at the monkey. She has never responded to or liked another object as much as she loves this monkey.
After a month of struggling to do her therapy because she was always too upset, we are back to working on rolling and sitting.

5 comments:

Stacie said...

Oh darn. I'm sorry about the rough patch. I am glad you figured it out...we'll pray things stay happy! And good work with the rattle, Gina!

Lisa said...

What a relief to figure out what was wrong--I can't imagine how frustrating that would've been on top of an already difficult situation. That picture of her with the monkey is so sweet! What a good friend. :)

Unknown said...

That sounds horribly difficult to have gone through. It's so frustrating when you as a mother know there is something wrong but you can't pinpoint it (or others say that everything is fine). I've been think about you guys a lot lately and saw your cute family pictures on fb. I hope that the stress in your life is manageable. I can't even imagine... She is such a doll, and I love that picture of her sitting up on her boppy pillow!

Andrea said...

Oh no - sorry to hear that the screaming is back. :(

Lissy Sarvela said...

Love that monkey and love that baby girl. Sorry she's sad right now. There is nothing worse than a sad baby not being able to tell us what's wrong. You're a great mama. You'll figure it out again and she couldn't be in better hands! Good luck.